Thursday 31 March 2011

Drawing and Design

Drawing is incredibly important during design. What you draw has to come from your head, to the page, and onto fabric. Now meanwhile you don't have to be Picasso it helps an incredible amount if you can draw what you are thinking to a degree that if you went back to it in a week you'd know what it was and be able to adapt and improve it.

Just buy a book and fill it with whatever you can! Try out different styles of techniques, fabrics etc. This will all help your design evolve and help inspire you. Take as many pictures as you can, of people, or nature, anything that inspires you whether it be the texture,colour, sound,movement of something. A bit in this book, if your stuck for idea's, just google something and see if you can't find a picture to inspire you.
Here's a video of my book that I took to my interviews that I made myself, it's not quite as full as that since it was done in a rush but it shows a little bit of an example and implementation, sorry about the quality I didn't realise how shakey my hand was!
Here is also a ThreadBanger video, that they have on drawing which might help, it certainly helped me when I was doing my portfolio. They interviewed someone who designs for simplicity.com, which makes simplicity patterns.

I also got this book which has loads of great examples and I now draw from whenever I do a drawing! It has lots of techniques, helpful hints etc. It's written by Patrick John Ireland in case anyone wants to find it on Amazon. It's very clear and definitely helpful. 

But yeah anyway, just draw as much as you can, copy out pictures, take pictures for inspiration etc. any improvement you can make to your drawing will help! You can design however you want be it on computer, or by hand, or a little bit abstract as long as you know what it is then it's fine!
Hope this helped! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. like your post,
    can draw but cant sew :(
    follow me...
    inveiglefair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete